Name:    James Grier Cleveland

From:  The Chronicle, Madison, Nebraska
Date:  April 1918  

James G. Cleveland, was born in Kinderhook, Ill., on the 20th day of May 1842 and entered his rest at eleven p.m. April 6th, aged 75 years 11 months and 4 days.  His earlier years were spent in Illinois and from that state he enlisted in Company C 10th Regiment for service in the Civil War at the age of 18 and was mustered out of service August 1865, giving 4 years the richest of his life for his country having marched with Sherman to the Sea, and other hard campaigns.

On his return from service he was united in marriage in 1871 to Miss Eliza Hudson, to this union were born four children, one of whom survives, Mrs. Zella Conley of Chicago.

Mr. Cleveland came to Nebraska in 1872 and settled on a homestead near here and endured the hardship incident to Drought and Grasshoppers, became discouraged and went back to Michigan where his wife passed away on July 30, 1879.

On the 7th day of January 1882 Mr. Cleveland was married to Miss Hannah M. Risbridger at Battle Creek, Michigan.  To this union were born three children, two of whom died in infancy, leaving but one with the mother to mourn the loss of husband and father, Mrs. Chas. Fraser of this city.

In 1889 he returned to Nebraska and for 29 years has made Madison his home and has been interested in nearly every public institution of the growing population, and in some way his skilled touch and oversight has been sought as a faithful caretaker of the Property and interests of the Municipality.  His home life in companionship with his faithful wife and daughter made it a place where the members of the local Post of G.A.R. loved to gather around his table and talk over the times when they marched and fought in 61 to 65 and when the feast was spread they were boys together again.

On November 17, 1915, James G. Cleveland united with the Presbyterian church under the Ministry of Dr. J. E. Farmer, and for several years he has been the faithful janitor of the Church and generous to a fault, he remained at his post until strength failed through illness nearly two weeks ago and was taken to his home to return no more.  Tenderly he was nursed by a loving wife, daughter and son-in-law until the end came, the weary wheel of Life Stood Still, and at eleven o'clock Saturday night he peacefully "entered the rest that remaineth for the people of God."

The funeral was held in the Presbyterian church Monday afternoon and the body was tenderly laid to rest in Crown Hill Cemetery.

The Chronicle joins the hosts of friends in extending sympathy to the bereaved in this their great loss.